Functions and Objectives
Some of the major functions of AKVIB are:-
• The AKVIB is charged with the planning, promotion, organisation and implementation of programs for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas through its different District and field offices
• The AKVIB has a wider network throughout the State to carry on its Khadi & Village Industries activities. The Board is implementing Khadi & Village Industries porgrammes in decentralized manner through its District Offices with a view to expand Khadi & Village Industries activities in the State including rural and remote places both in Plains and Hills.
• The AKVIB is a promotional organization and the Khadi & Village Industries Schemes are being implemented in the State by the Board with a view to generate rural employment and upliftment of rural economy by setting up various KVI units/projects with the financial support received from the Khadi & Village Industries Commission (KVIC). In case of commercial activities of the Board, it is mentioned here that there is no elements of commercial profit in functioning/objectives of the Assam Khadi & Village Industries Boars as per norms and terms & conditions of KVIC.
• Further, the AKVIB is entrusted with the task of providing financial assistance to institutions and individuals for development and operation of Khadi and village industries and guiding them through proper training.
The broad objectives that the AKVIB has set before it are…
• The social objective of providing employment.
• The economic objective of producing saleable articles.
• The wider objective of creating self-reliance amongst the poor and building up of a strong rural community spirit.
The Functions & duties of the KVIB
(1) The functions of Board are generally to plan,organize and implement programmes for the development of Khadi and Village Industries.
(2) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provision, the Board may take such steps as it thinks fit
(a) to promote, encourage and assist in the development of Khadi and Village Industries and to carry on trade or business in the products of such industries;
(b) to provide work to persons who have been professionally engaged in Khadi and Village Industries ;
(c) to grant loans to individuals; societies or institutions engaged in Khadi and Village Industries;
(d) to encourage establishment of co-operative societies in Khadi and Village Industries;
(e) to conduct training centres with a view to impart the necessary skill and knowledge for carrying on Khadi and Village Industries;
(f) to manufacture tools and implements and to arrange supply of such tools and implements and raw materials in order to secure development of Khadi and Village Industries;
(g) to conduct publicity and propaganda and organize marketing of finished products of Khadi and Village Industries by opening stores; shops, emporia and through exhibitions;
(h) to undertake and encourage research with a view to improve the quality and marketability of Khadi and the products of Village Industries;
(i) to collect statistics relating to Khadi and Village industries from such person or persons as may be prescribed and to publish the statistics so collected.
(j) to carry out any other matter which may be prescribed;
In the discharge of its functions, under this Act, the Board is bound by such directions as the KVIC may give to it.
For discharging the above functions, Board banks upon the Khadi & Village Industries Commission for schematic funds( loans & grants) for development of Khadi & Village Industries but administrative expenditure is borne by the State Govt.
The Board undertakes broadly the following activities in order to perform the above functions:-
A) Development .