Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS)
Objective of the Merchandise Exports from India Scheme (MEIS) is to promote the manufacture and export of notified goods/ products from India The Duty Credit Scrips and goods imported / domestically procured against them shall be freely transferable. Export of more than 4000 items are eligible to get benefit under MEIS. For the first time exports from SEZ also covered under this incentive scheme.
The Duty Credit Scrips can be used for:
- Payment of Customs Duties and Additional Customs Duties for import of inputs or goods,
- Payment of excise duties on domestic procurement of inputs or goods, including capital goods as per DoR notification.
- Payment of Customs Duty and fee in case of Export Obligation defaults
Entitlement under MEIS:
Exports of notified goods/products with ITC [HS] code, to notified markets as listed in Appendix 3B, shall be rewarded under MEIS. Appendix 3B also lists the rate(s) of rewards on various notified products [ITC (HS) code wise]. The basis of calculation of reward would be on realized FOB value of exports in free foreign exchange, or on FOB value of exports as given in the Shipping Bills in freely convertible foreign currencies, whichever is less, unless otherwise specified.
Export of goods through courier or foreign post offices using E-commerce:
- Exports of goods through courier or foreign post office using e- commerce, as notified in Appendix 3C, of FOB value up to Rs. 25000 per consignment shall be entitled for rewards under MEIS.
- If the value of exports using e-commerce platform is more than Rs 25000 per consignment then MEIS reward would be limited to FOB value of Rs.25000 only.
- Such goods can be exported in manual mode through Foreign Post Offices at New Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai.
- Export of such goods under Courier Regulations shall be allowed manually on pilot basis through Airports at Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai as per appropriate amendments in regulations to be made by Department of Revenue. Department of Revenue shall fast track the implementation of EDI mode at courier terminals.
Commodities exported by Post /Courier through E-commerce eligible for reward under the Scheme:
The following six commodities have been notified for being eligible for reward under the Scheme:-
- Handicraft Items/Products
- Handloom Products
- Leather Footwear
- The Customized Fashion Garments are garments that are made on specific request/order of customer and accordingly tailored/manufactured.
Ineligible categories under MEIS:
The following exports categories /sectors shall be ineligible for Duty Credit Scrip entitlement under MEIS
- Supplies made from DTA units to SEZ units
- Export of imported goods covered under paragraph 2.46 of FTP
- Exports through trans-shipment, meaning thereby exports that are originating in third country but trans-shipped through India
- Deemed Exports
- SEZ/ EOU /EHTP/ BTP /FTWZ products exported through DTA units
- Export products which are subject to Minimum export price or export duty.
- Exports made by units in FTWZ.
Last Date for filing application for Duty Credit Scrips:
Application for obtaining Duty Credit Scrips under MEIS shall be filed within a period of
- 12 months from the Let Export Order (LEO) date, or
- 3 months from the date of:
- Uploading of EDI Shipping Bills onto the DGFT Server by Customs
- Printing/ Release of Shipping Bills for Non-EDI Shipping Bills (whichever is later)