Government E-Marketplace (GEM) has a online portal which makes it easy for acquiring of goods and services necessary in different government departments, organizations and public sector undertakings in India. GEM has been introduced to increase transparency in government purchases, fasten the procedure of procurement and improve competence.
Products and Services sold on GEM:
- Office Equipment: Photocopiers, Printers, Pass Book, Smart card, Bar Code Scanners, Scanners, Cartridges, Computers, Desktop, Laptops, Tablets, Computer Accessories like Mouse, Keyboards, External Hard Disk Drives, RAM, Pen Drive, Power Bank.
- Paper: A4 (210 mm X 297 mm), Note Sheets, Note Books, Air Conditioner, Multi-Media Projectors, UPS (Line Interactive and on-line), Packaged drinking water.
Any sellers who produces or markets authentic products or carry out services can register themselves as a seller on the Government E-Marketplace. List of required documents for getting registration by the sellers on the Government E-Marketplace:
- PAN CARD
- Udyog Aadhar or Company Registration or LLP Registration
- GST Registration
- Bank Account & supporting KYC documents
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Canceled cheque copy
Procedure for Registration:
To be a seller on the GEM, one has to register a business as a manufacturer or trader or service provider. The registration process is simple and a GEM user ID with a password is given to the seller to access the account. Through this GEM account, the seller/service provider can list the products and services offered by them along with the respective price.
Advantages of Selling on GEM:
Through GEM any SME’s and start-ups in India can sell to the Government of India which is one of the largest purchaser of goods and services in the country. This hurdle was because of the cumbersome procedures and delays in payment. The GEM has disrupted that system and introduced a clean and efficient mechanism for Government purchases. Therefore more sellers can get registered on the GEM and make the Government a customer.
The following are some other benefits of being a seller on the GEM:
- Direct access to all Government departments.
- One-stop marketing place with minimum marketing attempt.
- All government tenders will come to one place and there is no need to keep watch for tenders of different departments. Once you have registered as a seller, the concerned departments would themselves approach you.
- No need to do product and model registration.
- Products accepted against supplier’s guarantee/warrantee and usually free from standard consignment check testing and assessment procedures.
- The seller does not have to customize his products or services to given specifications. You can market your product with all the characteristics defined by you. Renew and improve products as soon and as many times as you find it essential.
- Dynamic pricing is there which means the price can be changed based on market conditions and there has to be no fixed price for the whole year. There is no need to worry about fluctuating raw material prices or exchange rate variations.
- The seller does not have to keep on doing model up-gradation or changes. Once the latest products are listed one just has to market them based on descriptions and competitive prices.
- Get complete information of all Govt. requirements through Annual Procurement Plans.
- There is a guarantee of timely payments.
- Uniform and consistent purchase procedures and terms and conditions of the contract